What Can I Do

If you are a victim of Domestic Violence the police may already involved.

Unfortunately the police are often powerless to provide long term help if the victim refuses to support the prosecution, usually out of fear from the abuser.

Their options are limited. An arrest may only provide a short term solution until the perpetrator is released. Only 7 out of 10 victims are prepared to support a prosecution for fear of repercussions.

However there are a number of options available to you that will provide immediate security for you.

Apply for Non-Molestation Order

A non-molestation order is aimed at preventing your partner or ex-partner from using or threatening violence against you or your child, or intimidating, harassing or pestering you, in order to ensure the health, safety and well-being of yourself and your children.

** A Non-Molestation Order normally carries a power of arrest with it. Breaching an order is a criminal offence. This means that if the respondent breaches the order he/she will be arrested and put before the next available court.

Apply for a Prohibited Steps Order

A Prohibited Steps Order decides:

  • where your child lives
  • when your child spends time with each parent
  • when and what other types of contact, like phone calls, take place

Apply for an Occupation Order

An occupation order is an order issued by the court which sets out who has the right to stay, return or be excluded from a family home.

An occupation order doesn't change the financial shares in a home. It is usually a short-term measure and the length of time that it lasts will depend on your circumstances. In many cases an order will last for 6 or 12 months and some can be renewed.

An order can only be made for a property where you both live, did live, or intended to live in as the family home.